Machinima Artists Guild

Moderators: Cisko, Larkworthy Antfarm, Celestial Elf, Asil, Natascha Randt

Today I tried fraps instead of camstasia and noticed that while recording fraps saves short chunks of files by itself, is there any setting so I can change that so it saves the recording in one big file?

Views: 466

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you buy the Full Version it doesn't interrupt the recording but does as you direct ie long or short :)
Aha!!! *lol* So the full version doesn't cut the recordings by itself? I need to know for sure before I spend any Christmas money. :-)

I can only say that my 'trial version of Fraps' did stop recording frequently at very short/in fact at useless lengths of time, but that my Full Version doesn't cut my Avi files, it lets me record as long as I like...

tho I haven't tried to see how long that may be without any break at all, perhaps other members here may advise on that.

Thanks for answering Celestial :-) I need a recording software that can record whitout "auto-cutting-saving", with the possibilty to record at least a 5 minutes video clip. Guess I stick with Camstasia for awhile since I already have it and just beginning to learn machinima.

Due to Fraps not supporting AVI 2.0 OpenDML extensions (and using AVI 1.0 instead) the maximum clip size is about 3.9 GiB regardless of the filesystem of the destination drive. Should the recorded clip exceed this limit it is automatically split into 2 (or more) separate files....still don't know how long that is in minutes tho.

The shareware version of Fraps is identical to the registered commercial version, except for an unremovable Fraps watermark at the top of every video, and each recorded video is limited to 30 seconds in length.

Re Yani's comment..the Delay Feature;

Fraps 3.2 brings a new feature for registered users - loop recording, constantly capture the previous 30 seconds of video.

To start the buffering press and hold the video capture hotkey for a second. The Fraps counter will turn pink to show that video is being cached. When you want to save the action simply tap the capture hotkey and the recording will continue as normal (including the previous 30 seconds of footage).

Elf ~

Here is the answer; 3,9 G gives you around 1,56 minutes raw recording, after rendering one file into FLV, no music or title clips, etc. This is the result:

Celestial Elf said:

Due to Fraps not supporting AVI 2.0 OpenDML extensions (and using AVI 1.0 instead) the maximum clip size is about 3.9 GiB regardless of the filesystem of the destination drive. Should the recorded clip exceed this limit it is automatically split into 2 (or more) separate files....still don't know how long that is in minutes tho.

Cool thankyou.

I tend to construct my scenes with many varied shorter recordings, tp create diversity I employ differing camera angles, ie head shots, views, pans and zooms to better tell a wider story, but it depends ofcourse on what you are trying to acheive.

Best Wishes

Elf ~

I have a registered version of Fraps. And I have used it to record sequences over an hour long (yes I have a huge fast clean drive dedicated for this!!!!). What Fraps seems to do is create a new file every so often. You can stitch these together without any loss. I am sure there is a more efficient way of doing this but for me it works. If you want to see examples check out:

We Love Organica A single 9 minute shot.

and

** Is this the most BORING machinima ever presented here?!! ** See ... A single 50 minute shot.

Ian.

Celestial Elf said:

I can only say that my 'trial version of Fraps' did stop recording frequently at very short/in fact at useless lengths of time, but that my Full Version doesn't cut my Avi files, it lets me record as long as I like...

tho I haven't tried to see how long that may be without any break at all, perhaps other members here may advise on that.

Well as you both know, I'm a beginner at machinima and in order to learn, I have to experiment. Also what's imprtant who are you making videos for, what type of audience are you aiming for, or maybe some people just want to tell a story and don't care so much about the audience, nothing wrong with that. I don't know for what I will use my machinima skills for in the future so therefore I don't know what recording software will suit me the best. But for now as a beginner I will continue with Camstasia, as Yani said, it's great for training. I have a long way to go, to become as good at it as Ceöestial and Yani as well as many others here. Thank you so much, Celstial and Yani for answering my questions. :-)

RSS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Available

Now!

© 2014   Created by Lowe Runo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service