Machinima Artists Guild

Moderators: Cisko, Larkworthy Antfarm, Celestial Elf, Asil, Natascha Randt

Say does anyone know of any instructions about how to get a parcel stream for machinima to work or are the files too big if you host your own video. I tried with the instructions I had and nothing happened. But big file. Is there a way to get parcel stream from YouTube instead of the webpage on a prim thing? That works but it is certainly not sleek by any means. Thanks.

Views: 85

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Aview-tv is offering that service. but u still need a prim to display the stream- lol

There is a discussion thread on this in the Second Life forums called Playing Machinima Inworld that speaks to different techniques.  Remember, everyone has the ability to stream media off a prim-face, but that is different from using the actual media stream of the parcel your avatar happens to be on. 

We stream the machinimas we make about NeoVictoria in-world using the parcel stream.  Here's the copy for the note-card we give to help folks get their media started.  Suggestions for improvement will be appreciated; I'd especially appreciate a current link to the Lab's Official Third Party Viewer directory (the only one I can find points to the wiki). Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

NC Name: How to Stream Media in SecondLife

NC Description: A media streaming TIP sheet for watching media in-world

NC Body Text:

Its possible to listen to music and to watch videos that are hosted outside of Second Life when you're in-world.  Here are some tips to help you listen to the music we play here AND to watch the movies we stream into the simulations.

FIRST PREPARE YOUR COMPUTER

To view any streaming video in SecondLife, your computer must have the latest version of Quicktime installed.  Quicktime is a free software tool from Apple Computers.  You can download it here: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/

If you don't have Quicktime installed, movies that are streamed into the simulation using the land parcel settings will NOT play for you. 

-------------------------

WATCHING VIDEOS ON SL VIEWER 1

If you're using SL Viewer 1.XX or a third-party variant, from the top menu drop-down, go to Edit > Preferences > Audio & Video (tab), Streaming Preferences, [check] "Play Streaming Media When Available", [check] "Automatically play media". Also, be sure the Volume sliders for "Master" and "Media" are both far enough to the right so that you can hear the content.

WATCHING VIDEOS ON VIEWER 2/3

For SL Viewer 2.XX, 3.XX or a third-party variant, its a little different ...from the top menu, its ME > Preferences > Sound & Media (tab) > [check] Media slider to enabled and [check] Allow Media to auto-play.

Here's a helpful URL if you want to learn more: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Playing_media

Here's the official SL instructions for parcel media: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Land-parc...

LISTENING TO MUSIC

If you want to watch the videos, turn the music stream off  or you will have both playing at the same time and that will not be a good thing. You can toggle the music settings off the media preferences. 

We stream music from Radio Riel here ...specifically their Steampunk station.  Here's its URL if you want to listen to it elsewhere:  http://apollo.slserver.com:8402

WHAT'S A VIEWER?

Sometimes called the viewer or the client, this is the software that you installed on your computer so you could log into Second Life.

Not sure what viewer you're using?  Go to HELP from the top menu and click on  "About SecondLife".  That will open a window advising what viewer (or client) you're currently running on your computer. 

The Lab offers several different viewers folks can us to connect to the grid.  See http://secondlife.com/support/downloads/

There are also many third-party developers that make viewers people can use.  Here's a URL that explains it:  http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alternate_Viewers

Thanks Asil. I have webpage on a prim working and I did try the official way to get parcel media stream to work. The issue is what cisko and later others had told me and there is "server side" software that is needed for what I was thinking of doing. I could of course opt for Aview-tv :D, but for now it was just an idea and I can go with the webpage on a prim which has been working fine albeit not as slickly as the media stream.  

No server-side action is needed on your part; support of Quicktime movies is built into the server code in Second Life.  However, you do need to serve the video somewhere on the web.  Some people host their videos on their own servers and others use resources like aView, Blib-TV and Vimeo.  What's critical is the video be in the Quicktime format (*.mov).  Flash won't work.  Real Player won't work.  Windows Media Player won't work.    Some people tell me they have success with YouTube feeds, but I've never gotten them to work.

Regarding size, a really big file will take a long time to play via the parcel stream.  If you are planning to host your own videos or upload the *.mov files you make to a hosting service like aView, you need to get them as small as possible or no one will wait the five minutes it may take for your huge file to stream into the SL viewer. 

Chic Aeon said:

Thanks Asil. I have webpage on a prim working and I did try the official way to get parcel media stream to work. The issue is what cisko and later others had told me and there is "server side" software that is needed for what I was thinking of doing. I could of course opt for Aview-tv :D, but for now it was just an idea and I can go with the webpage on a prim which has been working fine albeit not as slickly as the media stream.  

Right, that's the wiki link.  The Lab use to have a page on the official site (part of the download page) that listed these.  It disappeared during their last web redesign and now all that's visible is the wiki.  Wiki is not authoritative, as anyone can edit it.
Chic Aeon said:

OK. Got it. Did all that according to the instructions on SL official pages with all the steps checked off and mov file loaded on a fast server. The file was most likely too large to stream which was part of my thinking. May retry in the future but it is certainly easier to do webpage on a prim and let the folks that don't have that click through to YouTube :D.  I did however find a lot of info about media stream and some $450 US software so I am still a bit confused but no real need to know the answers right now *wink*.  I may experiment with a smaller file in the future. Thanks.

Admin note: Moved from the GENERAL forum to the SL TIPS & TRICKS forum.

RSS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Available

Now!

© 2014   Created by Lowe Runo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service