Machinima Artists Guild

Moderators: Cisko, Larkworthy Antfarm, Celestial Elf, Asil, Natascha Randt

Who is using the SPACE NAVAGATOR 3D Mouse? Opinions?

This thread is devoted to users of the space navagator 3D mouse.

Although sometimes tricky to manipulate smoothly, certainly a useful tool for machinima makers.

Any pros or pans of this product?

Views: 600

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Try turning off particles. That makes those magic "avatar is touching this prim" dots disappear for me.

Hypatia Pickens said:
Not that I've noticed. What I HAVE noticed, however, is that I can still click on doors to open when I've hidden the UI. But for some reason, the little white dots that fly out from your avi's hand still show up even with UI hidden. And to make matters WORSE, they don't go away, even after the door is open. And when you try to click on it again, another beam of white dots fly out along with the first.... if you clicked and clicked on a scripted object, the screen gets filled with white dots. Does anyone know how to correct that? I'm using Windows7, FRAPS, and SpaceNavigator. Only happens when UI is hidden.

Lowe Runo said:
HEY! Sometimes under windlight, when I activate the space navagator and am using FRAPS, the lighting begins to flicker on my captures?

Does this happen to anyone else?
Thanks Asii... I'll try that. It seems to be intermittant... today when I turned off UI it was spotless. ;) But then my avi was far away from the door. (Ghostly door opening by itself.....)

Asil said:
Try turning off particles. That makes those magic "avatar is touching this prim" dots disappear for me.

Hypatia Pickens said:
Not that I've noticed. What I HAVE noticed, however, is that I can still click on doors to open when I've hidden the UI. But for some reason, the little white dots that fly out from your avi's hand still show up even with UI hidden. And to make matters WORSE, they don't go away, even after the door is open. And when you try to click on it again, another beam of white dots fly out along with the first.... if you clicked and clicked on a scripted object, the screen gets filled with white dots. Does anyone know how to correct that? I'm using Windows7, FRAPS, and SpaceNavigator. Only happens when UI is hidden.

Lowe Runo said:
HEY! Sometimes under windlight, when I activate the space navagator and am using FRAPS, the lighting begins to flicker on my captures?

Does this happen to anyone else?
I am using the space navigator since more than a year now and its simply the best invention ever made for machinima filming.. honestly spoken, when I notice, that a machinima does not use this device or similar, I see the difference at first glance. Using the SL cam again feels like being crippled.

I have a 3d space navigator and for making movies it is a nice thing to have, but hardly a requirement.

I know this product is advocated by several people as a must have, but that is like saying you need a four wheel drive to drive around. Also a space navigator does not save people from making badly framed shots, although technically it delivers the means to do that.

Personally I prefer bijocam more then the space navigator because it better suits my style. However you can get some nice shots, if you are in a lagless area and you really need some smooth camera work.

I am always baffled  that  in some groups  technical things are discussed until your toes curls, but hardly one word is spent on  what you can do to make a movie better without tech items.  I don';t say I know this for I am not an experienced movie maker, but if you just read some books about movie making I wonder where are the  people who have studied movie making who can tell us more about: how long a take should take. How to move the camera about, What not to do and what to do. How to frame a shot. 

Or are we all into this?

I agree Merit that there is more to this game of machinima making than just technical details themselves, although a knowledge of these is helpful, and whilst I cannot find the link just now, I recommend a guide that Cisko had shared previously which addresses all the concerns of camera angles, movement between scenes, structuring a film, story-boarding and editing to create more effective films. Perhaps Cisko will be kind enough to re-share the guide here.

Merit Coba said:

I have a 3d space navigator and for making movies it is a nice thing to have, but hardly a requirement.

I know this product is advocated by several people as a must have, but that is like saying you need a four wheel drive to drive around. Also a space navigator does not save people from making badly framed shots, although technically it delivers the means to do that.

Personally I prefer bijocam more then the space navigator because it better suits my style. However you can get some nice shots, if you are in a lagless area and you really need some smooth camera work.

I am always baffled  that  in some groups  technical things are discussed until your toes curls, but hardly one word is spent on  what you can do to make a movie better without tech items.  I don';t say I know this for I am not an experienced movie maker, but if you just read some books about movie making I wonder where are the  people who have studied movie making who can tell us more about: how long a take should take. How to move the camera about, What not to do and what to do. How to frame a shot. 

Or are we all into this?

I hope he does.. I am really looking forward for some of these things.

Thanks Celestial.

Celestial Elf said:

I agree Merit that there is more to this game of machinima making than just technical details themselves, although a knowledge of these is helpful, and whilst I cannot find the link just now, I recommend a guide that Cisko had shared previously which addresses all the concerns of camera angles, movement between scenes, structuring a film, story-boarding and editing to create more effective films. Perhaps Cisko will be kind enough to re-share the guide here.

Merit Coba said:

Or are we all into this?

Thank you Tikaf yes that's the one, Hey Merit.. take a look here :)

Tikaf Viper said:

If I'm not mistaken, Cisko gave a link to this book:

http://www.paperbackswap.com/Moviemaking-Illustrated-Comic-James-Mo...

Btw, I'm still interested in knowing if the right button of the Space Navigator can be configured to hide UI and AO on PC as it does on Mac ;-)

hi guys -  i've uploaded a .pdf vers of that book in the past, but can't find it anymore....pfft.

anyway this might help too.http://slmachinimaarts.ning.com/forum/topics/making-better-movies

basics r basics on any platform

i am waiting on the postman to deliver my space navi.... also aprehensive as i heard its difficult ..but time will tell..... any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated :-)

This is a great thread for advice on Space Nav and I absolutely would not want to be without - it increases the camera flexibility beyond anything i could have imagined before - a real Got To Get for more serious machinima makers.

Hypatias comment in the thread is helpful;

For anyone brand new to the SpaceNavigator, an important thing to remember is how to orient it on your desk. Make sure the cord is pointing to the "north' and the logo is pointing to the south. On your left hand side where your ring finger can reach it there is a button that will change the joystick from something that moves your avatar to the "fly cam." That confused me at first until someone on the Machinima Group pointed it out to me. I'm sure everyone here knows that, but just in case you've just bought it and wonder why its moving your avi and not panning away from it, push that release button. :)
also you will want to experiment with the user settings in your SL viewer in Prefferences/Graphics/Joystick - particulalrly the Fly Cam settings, which i tend to set about 0.20, but then may vary depending on the kind of view and camera control required.
HAPPY SPACE NAVIGATING!

yes...thanks for the thread....i am copying pasting all advice into a word doc !!!

It makes the camera angles more fluid. Agreed it can be tricky to control.

RSS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Available

Now!

© 2017   Created by Lowe Runo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service